WordPress and GoDaddy are the most famous ones which have made a major contribution to the development of the web community. They are known all over the world. But if you are just a beginner building a blog or website it would be better if you began by understanding what these two organizations are and what kind of role they play in website development. And the main task to solve is whether they could be compared at all.
What is GoDaddy?
GoDaddy is primarily the world’s largest domain name registrar that has more than 70 million registered domain names already on its books. If you need a domain for your website you can easily purchase and register it through this one company. By the way, this company also offers web hosting services and nearly 5 million sites are currently hosted by GoDaddy.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is the best content management system today and its use is growing at an exponential rate. In other words, it is a platform, a software used by customers for blogging and website building. It is not a hosting company itself but a large number of sites you are fond of visiting are probably powered by WordPress. It has become the most popular CMS in the world because of its flexibility and ease of use. You are allowed to create a website or a blog with the help of free and paid WordPress themes and WordPress plugins. Lots of good hosting companies offer special hosting packages for WordPress and GoDaddy is no exception.
The Pros and Cons of GoDaddy
Like many web-related companies, GoDaddy has its advantages and disadvantages. Let’s have a look at GoDaddy’s hosting pros.:
- GoDaddy is number 1 among the world’s domain name registrars (they make it easy for customers to choose a domain name);
- GoDaddy is cheap (their cheapest hosting offer is for a dollar per month with free domain name in the event of annual plan sign-up);
- GoDaddy hosting offers you different plans according to your needs with various sets of services;
- You may choose between two control panels which are known as cPanel (using it you can easily install popular web applications for blogging and eCommerce such as WordPress) or Plesk;
- Their hosting includes industry-leading and the fastest webpage load times for your sites;
- This company provides unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage space;
- GoDaddy shared hosting is backed up by award-winning support and security and is on-hand 24/7 (customers can be sure their sites are hacker-free, quickly loaded and online).
But hosting is a secondary feature for GoDaddy because they specialize in domain registration and provide a high-quality service along with it. They are not that highly qualified when it comes to hosting. Still, many customers have experienced serious problems by reason of bad hosting of their websites with GoDaddy and insufficient technical support. These are the main cons.
By the way, GoDaddy provides its own Website Builder designed for professionals of all levels to create their own small sites for business. It is not available for free like it is in WordPress but:
- it’s very easy to use (GoDaddy website builder offers its own builder platform GoCentral Website Builder. The website builder tool can be easily run by scrolling and dropping of pictures, images or photos);
- its design is flexible (offering numerous industry-specific themes which can excite visitors, a great variety of templates, even those ones which can be adapted for mobile devices);
- it’s ad-free (all the advertisements can be switched off).
The main cons of GoDaddy as a website builder are:
- its cost (GoDaddy website builder is not free. It is available as three packages and can be expensive for people who want to start with a small price);
- it is not as flexible as WordPress (GoDaddy’s website builder features are limited);
- it lacks quality (a conclusion made on the basis of customer experience. There are many other platforms you might choose when you are starting and WordPress is one among them because it provides complete beginners with everything they need to transform their sites according to their tastes).
The Pros and Cons of WordPress
On the other hand, more than 25% of all the websites use WordPress as their platform and it is approved and admired by users of all types. It doesn’t need formal presentation as WordPress is the best of all content management systems used today. Let’s list the pros of the world’s most famous CMS.
- Cheap price (it is free to install and the only item for which you have to pay is hosting. The advantage is that lots of companies suggest WordPress hosting which you can purchase together with a domain name for one low price. WordPress.com software, an easy to use WordPress website builder, can be downloaded free at WordPress.org);
- One-click installation (a large number of top hosting providers offer easy access to WordPress software installation with just a single-click);
- The high design flexibility of the website builder tool (it has thousands of drag-and-drop themes and templates which could be perfect for newbie site builders. Plugins and widgets will help the website creators to broaden their sites’ functionality. Thus, as you can see, WordPress website builder is user-friendly for those who are complete beginners);
- SEO friendly – (this software has lots of features which make it more visible in web searches);
- Trusted reputation and vast online community (its blogging platform is trusted by millions of customers and site owners. It has its own fan family in the open-source community where you will find answers to any question).
Among the disadvantages of this popular platform mentioned by users is its security because it is an open source programme and subject to activities by spammers and hackers; and sometimes speed can be a problem but all these factors depend mainly on the efficiency of the hosting provider you choose for your business.
At the end of the day, we have been trying to compare two incomparable things: the most widely used CMS and the best place for the registration of a domain name. GoDaddy is not a top hosting provider but it is more rational to compare it with similar hosting companies such as Bluehost for instance. Therefore it would help your situation if you chose the right hosting company for your website from the start. That is essential for starting an on-line business.
In the event you are a novice at website building it would better if you used WordPress. There are lots of tutorials provided for you to help you build your own website in less than an hour. GoDaddy is a superb choice for the registration of your own domain name. After studying all these recommendations you will be ready to start building your own website company.